Being fans of rhubarb, muffins and crumble it only seemed natural to try out these delicious muffins from the BBC Good Food website. Perfect for when you have little time and want to grab a sweet treat on the go.
Rhubarb Crumble Muffins
Serves 12| To prepare 25 mins | To cook 15-18 mins
For the muffin mix
- 175g caster sugar
- 175g rhubarb, halved lengthways then diced
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 125ml buttermilk 200g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
For the crumble topping
- 50g light muscovado sugar
- 50g plain flour
- 25g porridge oats
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- 50g butter
- Heat oven to 220C|200C Fan|Gas 7
- Line a 12 hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases
- Stir the sugar and rhubarb together and set aside whilst you make the crumble topping.
- Mix together the muscovado sugar with the flour, oats and cinnamon.
- Then rub in the butter, until clumpy with your fingertips.
- Stir the oil and egg, vanilla and buttermilk into the sugary rhubarb (don't worry if it's a little bit juicy)
- Now add the flour, baking powder and bicarb soda and stir well.
- Quickly spoon the mixture into the cases then scatter each with a thick layer of the crumble mix.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes until golden and a cocktail stick poked into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
We're currently on our travels! Check back to the blog for updates of our tasty trip!