Image via Martha Stewart
Being massive fan's of carrot cake we're always on the lookout for a recipe with a twist, also we thought... what's better than a little sweet treat to perk up your mid week slump? Well a carrot tea cake it seems.....
Carrot Tea Cake
Serves 8| To prepare 15 mins | To cook 40-45 mins
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pan
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup packed dark-brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup packed grated carrots (from about 2 carrots)
- 1 bar (8 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 5-by-9-inch (6-cup) loaf pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy; beat in eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat in carrots. With mixer on low, gradually add flour mixture; beat just until combined.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; bake until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool in pan 5 minutes. Turn cake out onto a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Make frosting: Using mixer, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until fluffy.
- Frost top of cooled cake.