image via by Sarah Ashley
It's that time of year again when we're all gearing up for the turn of the year and finalising NYE plans. If you happen to be hosting your very own party and seem to be at a loose end as to what to serve for dessert or simply as a fun finale to a buffet then why not try out these adult friendly cupcakes. After all what's better than Strawberries and champagne?
Strawberries and Champagne Cupcakes
Serves 18 | To prepare 3hrs-3.5hrs | To cook 12-15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup Champagne
- 2 sticks butter, room temperature
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup champagne
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled
- Leftover simple syrup from candied strawberries
- About 1/2 cup champagne
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled
- Make the candied strawberries: In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, bring sugar and 1/2 cup water to boil, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat; let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Slice strawberries lengthwise as thinly as possible. Dip slices in cooled syrup; place on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Reserve syrup. Bake until dry but still bright red, about 3 hours. Immediately transfer chips to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Bake the cupcakes: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place cupcake liners in a muffin tin. In a bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside. In a mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat in egg whites one at a time. Beat in flour mixture and champagne in three alternating additions, starting and ending with dry mixture.
- Pour batter into tins and bake 12 to 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of one of the cupcakes comes out clean.
- Make the strawberry filling: Take the remaining simple syrup and pour it into a measuring cup. Add enough champagne to get to 1 cup (you’ll need about 1/2 cup).
- Pour mixture back into the pan and cook over medium-high heat until the mixture is reduced by about half. Whisk in cornstarch and allow the mixture to thicken.
- Pour into food processor bowl and allow to cool. Add strawberries and pulse until combined.
- Make the champagne butter cream frosting: Beat butter in bowl of stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add confectioners’ sugar 1 cup at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla, salt, and champagne; beat until frosting is creamy. (Note: If you started with a bottle of champagne, you’ll have about one glass leftover.
- The finish line is near, and a victory drink is in order!)
- Assemble the cupcakes: Using a small paring knife, cut a small cone from the top of each cupcake. Fill with a heaping teaspoon of filling. Using a pastry bag fitted with a star tip, pipe the butter cream onto each cupcake, swirling decoratively.
- Finish them off with a couple of candied strawberry chips, and serve.
Recipe: By Sarah Ashley
Hope you're all having a lovely Sunday...