Nothing can beat a freshly baked pie in the winter, are we right? There's just something so rewarding about baking your own pie and devouring it slice by slice beside a warm fire.
Today we're moving away from our English roots and focusing on an all American classic; Boston Cream Pie. We feel we have to attach a warning to this recipe as we know alot of people are following strict January diet regimes. This is A. not particularly the healthiest of pies and B. Isn't the most straight forward either. However if you have the gusto to follow the recipe and see it through to the end you will not be disappointed!
Let's give it a go.....
Boston Cream Pie
Makes one 9" cake| To prepare around 20 mins | To cook 30 mins
- Unsalted butter, for cake pan
- 1 cup sifted cake flour, (not self-rising), plus more for pan
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 6 large egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream