We're always thinking of new inspirational cakes to offer on the blog and it couldn't really get anymore inspirational than this Swiss Roll found over on Pinterest. Not only are we aware it's chocolate week ( no we're not lying, full chocolate bar eating is permitted) but it's also breast cancer awareness month. So we went on the hunt for something that would combine chocolate with something pink and it just so happens that blogger Big Bear's Wife had the same idea with this wonderful creation.
Having a charity bake sale to support breast cancer awareness this month? Then this cake is not only perfect but relatively easy to make considering it's super cute detailing.
Before we get started we thought we would share some tips that Angie (aka Big Bears Wife) has provided....
- Don't over bake. If you over bake this cake it will crack when you try to roll it. I baked mine for 7 minutes.
- For my Filling I combined a can of cream cheese icing and a can of caramel apple icing in the bowl of a mixer and whipped them together on high
- Fill and roll the cake while it is still warm!
- In the bowl of your mixer, mix the cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract and a few drops of pink food colouring.
- Mix until smooth
- Pre-heat the oven to 200C.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1 tablespoon melted butter.
- Mix well.
- Tint it pink with the food colouring.
- Lay the ribbon template (found here) onto the baking sheet. Cover with wax paper (or parchment paper).
- Scoop the pink batter into a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a small hole into the tip of the bag.
- Following the ribbon template pipe the ribbons onto the wax paper.
- Also pipe the pink dots.
- Place baking sheet into the freezer. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- While the ribbons are freezing, make the sponge cake batter.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar.
- Mix on medium speed until the egg whites form soft peaks. (Maybe about 5 minutes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk by hand the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until the eggs yolks are a pale yellow colour.
- Whisk in the 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Mix slowly until everything is incorporated.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and carefully spread the chocolate batter over the ribbons. Spread the batter evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Carefully remove the cooked cake from the oven.
- Lay another piece of wax paper onto a flat surface. Flip the cake over onto the wax paper and carefully peel the wax paper off of the cake revealing the ribbons. Flip the cake over again so that the ribbons are on the bottom of the cake.
- Spread the filling over the entire cake. Starting on the edge without the ribbons, start to roll the cake.
- Roll until you reach the end. Place the cake on a flat surface with the seam down.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve.
Enjoy and good luck with any Breast Cancer Awareness events you may have planned this month!